Thursday, December 30, 2004

Is your life better now?

This is one of the topics posted on CNN Open Forum for the coming New Year. I pondered on it for awhile then switched to Solar to catch the game.

Today is Rizal Day. We’re supposed to be commemorating the martyrdom of our national hero over a century ago, but the terrorist bombing 4 years ago put another reason for our country to look back. To answer the question though, my life has changed for the better, even for a small degree. It had its ups and downs but I had more ups this year. Professionaly, I couldn’t ask for more. I am enjoying my work, not the bulk though but the quality of it. The company I work for has tested all my abilities to it’s fullest. Nevermind the if amount of work I put into it has limited my social engagements. I’ve come to terms with it, even if my weekends aren’t rest days anymore.

Socially, well. Ho-hum. It’s still so-so. When someone asks me about my love life, they always get my trademark response, “Hehe, as usual, may life pero walang love.” Or when a relative asks when am I getting married, I normally tell them, “Don’t worry, malalaman nyo naman eh.”. At least, I’ve gotten used to it, even if my boss would always tease me when will I let him meet “my girlfriend.”. I’ve already told him why, at 32 years old, I’m still single. Maybe I’m still hung over my previous hurts, or maybe not. I’ve closed that chapter of my life a long time ago and it’s time to move on. I just need Cocoy to constantly remind me though to never again give a dog to a girl or never introduce your girfriend or "nililigawan" to your “barkada” unless you’re certain you’ll end up together. It's a jinx my close friends try to overcome. (sigh)

I’ve met with some of my friends last night for a post-christmas party. If there’s one thing that make my life more bearable is because of them, and all of my friends in general. They’re always there if you want to goof around, even if I see them a lot less time than the year before. Even though some of them have gone overseas to work, I’m still thankful.

2005 beckons in less than 2 days and I, like everyone have my resolutions for the new year, even if they have a shelf life of 1 month.

1. I have 5 credit cards and hopefully before the next year, I will only have 1 I’ve already saved enough to finish paying off at least 2 before tax time. Hopefully, by next years end, I’ll only have my Citibank-Visa.
2. Since I’m not paying as many credit cards as before, finally I’ll be able to save up more and spend for things I really need.
3. I need to shed a few pound ( kilograms would be more appropriate) to really stay fit. My buddy and I started to do long walks during Sundays and hopefully, by January we can pick-up where we left off. I’ve also started playing Badminton coz my boss is so fond of it. It’s easier to play and organize than basketball since you only need 2-4 persons and there’s lots of playing courts around. Hopefully I can learn another sport next year.
4. Hopefully, I’ll have enough time and resources to start studying for a Master’s degree before the next school year. I miss going to school and I’m already starting to forget a lot of things I used to know when I was still teaching. Besides, they will only allow those with Master’s degrees to teach at the college level. I’m not in a hurry though to go back to teaching though.
5. My eyesight deteriorated from 50-25 2 years back to 150-175 just last month and I had the flu quite a few to many times last year. Case in point, I must stay healthy and “always” follow what the doctor tells you.
6. This bloging thing is really therapautic, hopefully I can continue doing this.
7. I’m a Scorpio- Water Rat. Hopefully, the stars will give me lots of cheese this year and not just the holes.

Going back to my question, Is your life better now? Since I saw this one on TV, My answer will also be from TV. In the show Straight Talk, the outgoing British Ambassador to the Philippines was asked on How he sees the country, “Is it half-full or half-empty?” He said you should also look at the quality of the glass.

Well, for me, I always see the glass half-full, and I’m always thankful that the glass was there and someone offered me a drink.

A toast for a better life for all of us! Happy New Year, everyone!

1 comment:

Vikkicar said...

Yes, a betterer 2005 to all of us. Btw, thanks for the absolut glass, gusto din ng sister ko magpagawa. she'll pay na lang daw. ABSOLUT GIRL daw gusto nya, then her name. Kapal ng sister ko no? hehehe. I'm sure, God will give you your special someone when you least expected it. We just have to have faith. Ingat. God Bless.