Friday, February 18, 2005

the Phantom....

Before the heading reminds you of a purple-clad Billy Zane super hero movie back in the days (with a very young Catherine Zeta-Jones), well , this isn't.
After meeting up with some clients last weekend, I've finally been able to see this big-screen adaptation of the hit musical "The Phantom of the Opera." I intended to see on a Saturday but the screening schedule at the Gateway Cineplex is strict and they do not allow moviegoers to enter if the flick has already begum. Good thing my friend V couldn't accept the invitation to watch or it would have blown up in my face.
I don't have any expectations in seeing this adaptation. One reason is I've never seen it live. I've only listened to it through the original Broadway cast recording (while reading the accompanying libretto), what I know only my imagination provided. Another reason is I haven't read any of the movie write-ups and so I don't know if the actors are the one's singing. Anyway, I came, I watched and I am satisfied with what I saw. Nevermind if Joel Schumacher directed it, it was always the songs that's a hit with the audience, be it live or on screen. It also helps to have Emma Rossum as Christine, and also Jennifer Ellison as Meg (looking like a very young Rebecca de Mornay). There are scenes that I saw where exactly as I imagined and some isn't. There were some characters which I could not recall and I wonder if Andrew Lloyd Webber added a new song just for the movie. I will have to read up on this some more on this, but in the meantime, I must see it again, this time, right from the beginning.
Gentlemen....

No comments: