Saturday, April 07, 2007

not-so Good Friday

"Sus Mariano Garapon!" was one of the more creative curses that I heard this past Holy Week. It's not really a new one but it's been awhile since I heard it.
I'm spending the Lenten break here in Ilo-ilo for the first time since I'll be flying home for good next Sunday via Cebu Pacific. I'm quite concerned that I'll be flying home the same day that Pac-man is fighting 'coz I might have some trouble getting a cab. My other concern is my luggage will be overweight coz of the many magazines and books I bought here.
It's been very peaceful here the past 2 days. I can look back to my childhood the last time Holy Week was this quiet. Back then, you're not allowed to do much of anything unlike today when businesses only shutdown on Good Friday. Yestreday, I went on a "minor Visita Iglesia", visiting all the churches that I know how to get to, which is only a handful. Didn't do much praying either but I still mumbled a little prayer. After I ran out of churches to go to I decided to spend the afternoon reading in one of the plazas near my boarding house. The plaza wasn't crowded but there's quite a number of families that's doing the same thins as me. Most are from the vicinity but there's quite a few foreigners (mostly Koreans) taking pictures and strolling. Holy week isn't the same as was when I was young but we all need a break and for most of us this is the time.

1 comment:

Vikkicar said...

Praying for a safe flight back home on Sunday. I think you'll get a cab, I don't think all cabbies will watch the match, they have radios anyways. Hee. God Bless.