Friday, February 29, 2008

jungle fever

'junggul 'feevur' (n), severe form of malaria occuring in tropical regions.: slang term for interracial relations known as miscegenation; 1991 film by Spike Lee.

I'll let everyone lower their eyebrows right now and before anyone can shout to the heavens, this blog is NOT about any of the definitions above. The term just popped into my head because of the lead characters' job is an architect who at the beginning of the movie gets passed over for a partnership only because of his race. The scene where Flipper is walking out of the office pointing at the photos hanging on the wall shouting, "Mine, mine, mine,mine!" has stuck so vividly in my mind. This movie was the first one I saw that featured an Architect as the lead and it came out while I was in college which made it more significant.
I never imagined that I would be able to play out that scene after I graduated but that's what I'm going through right now. A few years ago dreamed that I'll be setting up my own practice after a few years and 7 years down the road, I'm only moved ahead a bit. Like any other line of work, it's very difficult to establish a practice and make a profit from the get-go. The most established firms took quite a long time and I rarely saw an architect become famous before the age of 40. I'm still ahead but not the spring chicken I am.
That being said, I'm gonna have to take a good look at what I'm doing at the moment and make the adjustments since the career blueprint I made way back isn't panning out as I would have hoped. I'm coming up on a fork on the road and whichever path I take will be a bumpy one, leading to a place I've never been before, somewhere beyond my comfort zone. I'm almost incoherent and restless the the same time.
Having jungle fever ain't quite so bad right now.

No comments: