Monday, October 18, 2004

Semi-charmed half-life.

I consider myself to be lucky if not blessed. There have been instances in the past that could have been disastrous if the breaks didn't come my way. It would have altered my life entirely.
When I was about to enter high school, I thought I didn't qualify in the school I wanted. In my carelessness, I didn't see my name when the results came out. If it hadn't been for a phone call from a friend, I would have enrolled in another school.
In college, in anticipation of our graduation, our class went to Bataan for a weekend of relaxation and celebration. After a whole afternoon of swimming and island hopping, it was now time to take the banca-ride back to the resort. Halfway through the trip, our vessel ran out of fuel. We were floating aimlessly as dusk approaches and the waves started to get bigger. Fortunately, another banca came by with an extra canister of fuel and we're able to reach the shore.
A few years ago while on my way to a party, we decided to take a shortcut into Balara to get to Marikina faster. Think aout this, if the car you're driving is a compact sedan like the Kia Pride and you're facing an unfinished bridge with knee-deep floodwater running over it, you should turn back and look for another way. But, no... our over-zealous driver didn't think so and drove the car across. With the water rushing up to the window, we had no recourse but to push forward and amid the cheers of the bystanders made it across. That is one shortcut I'm never gonna take again.
I'll be celebrating another birthday in a few days and this one, in my opinion, is the halfway point in my life, but that's just me. I've accomplished so much more than I expected and dreamt of and I'm truly thankful. If God intended me to go beyond that is up to Him, after all, I owe it entirely to Him. If there's one thing I've realized all these years is nothing is so bad that God's goodness cannot match. So when the chips are down or things don't come my way, I say to myself, "Don't worry, everthing will turn out okay."

No comments: